[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] disabling deprecated APIs by config?

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 18:08:03 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> nova-net is now deprecated - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310539/
>
> And we're in the process in Nova of doing some spring cleaning and
> deprecating the proxies to other services -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312209/
>
> At some point in the future after deprecation the proxy code is going to
> stop working. Either accidentally, because we're not going to test or
> fix this forever (and we aren't going to track upstream API changes to
> the proxy targets), or intentionally when we decide to delete it to make
> it easier to address core features and bugs that everyone wants addressed.
>
> However, the world moves forward slowly. Consider the following scenario.
>
> We delete nova-net & the network proxy entirely in Peru (a not entirely
> unrealistic idea). At that release there are a bunch of people just
> getting around to Newton. Their deployments allow all these things to
> happen which are going to 100% break when they upgrade, and people are
> writing more and more OpenStack software every cycle.
>
> How do we signal to users this kind of deprecation? Can we give sites
> tools to help prevent new software being written to deprecated (and
> scheduled for deletion) APIs?
>
> One idea was a "big red switch" in the format of a config option
> ``disable_deprecated_apis=True`` (defaults to False). Which would set
> all deprecated APIs to 404 routes.
>
> One of the nice ideas here is this would allow some API servers to have
> this set, and others not. So users could point to the "clean" API
> server, figure out that they will break, but the default API server
> would still support these deprecated APIs. Or, conversely, the default
> could be the clean API server, and a legacy API server endpoint could be
> provided for projects that really needed it that included these
> deprecated things for now. Either way it would allow some site assisted
> transition. And be something like the -Werror flag in gcc.
>
> In the Nova case the kinds of things ending up in this bucket are going
> to be interfaces that people *really* shouldn't be using any more. Many
> of them data back to when OpenStack was only 2 projects, and the concept
> of splitting out function wasn't really thought about (note: we're
> getting ahead of this one for the 'placement' rest API, so it won't have
> any of these issues). At some point this house cleaning was going to
> have to happen, and now seems to be the time to do get it rolling.
>
> Feedback on this idea would be welcomed. We're going to deprecate the
> proxy APIs regardless, however disable_deprecated_apis is it's own idea
> and consequences, and we really want feedback before pushing forward on
> this.
>
>         -Sean
>
> --
> Sean Dague
> http://dague.net

​I like the idea of a switch in the config file.  To Dean's point, would it
also be worth considering a "list-deprecated-calls" that could give him a
list without having to do the roundtrip every time?  That might not
actually solve anything for him, but perhaps something along those lines
would help?​