[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [glance] glance-registry deprecation: Request for feedback

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Fri May 13 21:10:35 UTC 2016

On 5/13/16 4:29 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 13/05/16 15:52 -0400, Nikhil Komawar wrote:

>>> I kinda disagree, tbh. We can have a glance-api service that can be
>>> upgraded
>>> with no downtimes without the need of a registry service.
>>
>> With a oslo.vo implementation to work with different models of Glance
>> tables (image/members/etc.) schema you _need_ a service that can talk to
>> both the type of the models without having to upgrade the DB. From my
>> initial perspective, the API nodes up-gradation process will not help
>> when we use oslo.vo.
>>
>> Because the API will need to be capable of using the new schema where as
>> the DB still has a old one. What is the current thought process for
>> supporting a rolling upgrade for DB?
>
> Why? I'm failing to see the need of a separate service to do this. The
> above

I do not know all the answers hence, the request for research.

For instance:

* What happens if I have 3 g-api nodes (no-registry) and oslo.vo upgrade
support for the DB.

* If I upgrade first g-api do a PATCH on an image (that updates the DB
scheme), and then go GET via the other 2 g-api (older version of the
g-api) on the same image. What should the non-upgraded g-api return?

> suggests there's a service that exposes a single API and that is also
> capable of
> talking to both database schemas. Why can't that service be glance-api
> itself?
>
> Whatever transformation happens in this separate service could as well
> happen in
> the main service. What am I missing?

I think we need to define some usage patterns and the upgrade support
for them to be definite in our approach.

> Flavio

>>> I'm curious to know how you did this upgrade, though. Did you shutdown
>>> your
>>> registry nodes, upgraded the database and then re-started them? Did
>>> you upgraded
>>> one registry node at a time?
>>>
>>> I'm asking because, as far as I can tell, the strategy you used for
>>> upgrading
>>> the registry nodes is the one you would use to upgrade the glance-api
>>> nodes
>>> today. Shutting down all registry nodes would live you with unusable

Nikhil