[Openstack-operators] Moving from distro packages to containers (or virtualenvs...)

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Fri May 13 18:08:44 UTC 2016

On 05/13/2016 12:48 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>>> * Was/is kolla used or looked into? or something custom?
>>>

>> Openstack-ansible, which is Openstack big-tent.  It used to be
>> os-ansible-deployment in stackforge, but we've removed the rackspacisms.
>>   I will say that openstack-ansible is one of the few that have been
>> doing upgrades reliably for a while, since at least Icehouse, maybe
>> further.
>
> Whats the connection between 'openstack-ansible' and 'kolla', is there
> any (or any in progress?)

The main difference is that openstack-ansible uses more heavy weight
containers from a common base (ubuntu 14.04 currently, 16.04/cent
'soon'), it then builds on top of that, uses python virtualenvs as well.
 Kolla on the other hand creates the container images centrally and
ships them around.

The other thing to note is that Kolla has not done a non-greenfield
upgrade as far as I know, I know it's on their roadmap though.

--
-- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)