[Openstack-operators] Moving from distro packages to containers (or virtualenvs...)

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Fri May 13 03:04:30 UTC 2016

On 05/12/2016 04:04 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Hi there all-ye-operators,
>
> I am investigating how to help move godaddy from rpms to a
> container-like solution (virtualenvs, lxc, or docker...) and a set of
> questions that comes up is the following (and I would think that some
> folks on this mailing list may have some useful insight into the answers):
>
> * Have you done the transition?

We've been using openstack-ansible since it existed, it's working well
for us.

> * How did the transition go?

It can be painful, but it's worked out in the long run.

> * Was/is kolla used or looked into? or something custom?

Openstack-ansible, which is Openstack big-tent.  It used to be
os-ansible-deployment in stackforge, but we've removed the rackspacisms.
 I will say that openstack-ansible is one of the few that have been
doing upgrades reliably for a while, since at least Icehouse, maybe further.

> * How long did it take to do the transition from a package based
> solution (with say puppet/chef being used to deploy these packages)?
>
>   * Follow-up being how big was the team to do this?

Our team was somewhat bigger than most as we have many deployments and
we had to do it from scratch.  If you CAN do it solo, but I'd recommend
you have coverage / on call for whatever your requirements are.

> * What was the roll-out strategy to achieve the final container solution?

For Openstack-ansible I'd recommend deploying a service at a time,
migrating piecemeal.  You can migrate to the same release as you are on
(I hope), though I'd recommend kilo or greater as upgrades can get
annoying after a while.

> Any other feedback (and/or questions that I missed)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

-- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)