[Openstack-operators] Moving from distro packages to containers (or virtualenvs...)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu May 12 21:04:26 UTC 2016

Hi there all-ye-operators,

I am investigating how to help move godaddy from rpms to a
container-like solution (virtualenvs, lxc, or docker...) and a set of
questions that comes up is the following (and I would think that some
folks on this mailing list may have some useful insight into the answers):

* Have you done the transition?

* How did the transition go?

* Was/is kolla used or looked into? or something custom?

* How long did it take to do the transition from a package based
solution (with say puppet/chef being used to deploy these packages)?

   * Follow-up being how big was the team to do this?

* What was the roll-out strategy to achieve the final container solution?

Any other feedback (and/or questions that I missed)?

Thanks,

Josh