[Openstack-operators] How are folks providing GPU instance types?

Tomas Vondra vondra at czech-itc.cz
Tue May 10 14:58:06 UTC 2016

Nordquist, Peter L <Peter.Nordquist at ...> writes:

> You will also have to enable iommu on your hypervisors to have libvirt
expose the capability to Nova for PCI
> passthrough.  I use Centos 7 and had to set 'iommu=pt intel_iommu=on' for
my kernel parameters.  Along with
> this, you'll have to start using EFI for your VMs by installing OVMF on
your Hypervisors and configuring
> your images appropriately.  I don't have a link handy for this but the
gist is that Legacy bootloaders have a
> much more complicated process to initialize the devices being passed to
the VM where EFI is much easier.

Hi!
What I found out the hard way under the Xen hypervisor is that the GPU you
are passing through must not be the primary GPU of the system. Otherwise,
you get memory corruption as soon as something appears on the console. If
not sooner :-). Test if your motherboards are capable of running on the
integrated VGA even if some other graphics card is connected. Or blacklist
it for the kernel.
Tomas