[Openstack-operators] [neutron] Interesting networking issue - need help

James Denton james.denton at rackspace.com
Thu Mar 31 22:47:31 UTC 2016

Hi Chris,

>> If I set --router:external=False on the Public net, will that cause Neutron to create a purely virtual router based on an instance instead of playing games with the hardware NIC?

No. It simply means that routers cannot be attached to the network using the router-gateway-set command. It would not be treated as an ‘external’ or ‘floating IP’ network, so to speak.

If you can SSH to instances connected to the public network, as well as the OpenStack dashboard, from the private instances, then MTU should be OK (if you’re using VXLAN). Normally MTU issues manifest themselves as SSH connections that appear to hang during the setup, dropped packets, etc. But I would expect the three-way handshake to be completed in either case.

At this point, I recommend performing a tcpdump on the qg-* interface of the router, or the other end of that interface that resides in the external bridge, to see what TCP/UDP traffic looks like as it leaves your instance. Verify that it’s being NAT’d properly as the SNAT address or the floating IP address. Perform the same cap on the physical interface of the server, maybe filtering on the IP you’re trying to reach to reduce the noise. You want to trace the packets as the leave the instance through the various bridges, veths, and lastly the physical interface.

James