[Openstack-operators] Intel 10 GbE / bonding issue with hash policy layer3+4

Sascha Vogt sascha.vogt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 10:54:22 UTC 2016

Hi Stig,

Am 24.03.2016 um 11:10 schrieb Stig Telfer:
> I had a similar experience earlier this week. I was testing bond
performance on a dual-port Mellanox NIC, LACP-bonded with layer 3+4
transmit hash. First run of iperf (8 streams), I saw a reasonable
distribution across the links. Shortly after that, performance dropped
to a level that suggested no distribution. I didn’t look into it any
further at the time.

I think this is something iperf or OS related. We have the same here.
The first call always reports a higher throughput than the consecutive
runs. I make it a habit of calling iperf at least 3 times to see if the
output is stable.

> This was on CoreOS beta (kernel 4.3-6 IIRC).
>
> If our experiences have a common root cause, I have a different
> distro
and NIC to you, which might eliminate those components. I should have
the kit back in this configuration within a week, I’ll try to probe and
report back.

Any feedback would be welcome :) As stated above, multiple calls to
iperf for stable results are a good idea.

Greetings
-Sascha-