[Openstack-operators] Neutron Liberty - Basic networking question

Christopher Hull chrishull42 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 20:48:02 UTC 2016

Hello all;
Thanks again for all your help.   Setup is running, but I'm learning how to
get networking up now.

I have a fairly traditional setup with ATT router and DHCP over a certain
range.  I restricted that range to .100 to .200 because I thought my
Openstack system sould occupy a range outside of DHCP space.  But I noticed
that my VMs show up on the ATT router list (as unknownXXX.  Maybe I need to
use cloud init to expose machine names.)

When I create my public net and enable DHCP, is this a different DHCP
server running within Openstack Neutron, or is it using my ATT router's
DHCP?   If the latter, should my public subnet use the same pool of
addresses (.100 to .200)?  Currently it is a different range (.10 to
.90).    My Openstack system is .99 so as to be out of everyone's way.

I can't get the router between public and private net to work.  It won't
ping.   I can't use floating IPs.  They pretend to attach to private
instances but no SSH (see previous mail).  For now all instances will
simply run on the public net.

In order to put servers on the internet, should I simply add another subnet
to public net (no DHCP, range being my public statics).  Or should a just
add a pool to the public subnet?

Thanks
Chris

- Christopher T. Hull