[Openstack-operators] RAID / stripe block storage volumes

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Mon Mar 7 07:33:30 UTC 2016

From: joe <joe at topjian.net<mailto:joe at topjian.net>>
Date: Monday 7 March 2016 at 07:53
To: openstack-operators <openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-operators] RAID / stripe block storage volumes

We ($work) have been researching this topic for the past few weeks and I wanted to give an update on what we've found.

First, we've found that both Rackspace and Azure advocate the use of RAID'ing block storage volumes from within an instance for both performance and resilience [1][2][3]. I only mention this to add to the earlier Amazon AWS information and not to imply that more people should share this view.

Second, we discovered virtio-scsi [4]. By adding the following properties to an image, the disks will now appear as SCSI disks, including the more common /dev/sdx naming:

hw_disk_bus_model=virtio-scsi
hw_scsi_model=virtio-scsi
hw_disk_bus=scsi

What's notable is that, in our testing, ZFS pools and Gluster replicas are more likely to see the volume disconnect/fail with virtio-scsi. mdadm has always been fairly dependable, so there hasn't been a change there. We're still testing, but virtio-scsi looks promising.

We found significantly slower (~20%) from the virtio SCSI on bonnie++. I had been thinking it would be better.

What were your performance experiences ?

Tim

1: https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/configuring-a-software-raid-on-a-linux-general-purpose-cloud-server/
2: https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/cloud-block-storage-faq/
3: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-linux-configure-raid/