[Openstack-operators] [openstack-community] Recognising Ops contributions

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Mar 4 12:20:44 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-04 10:02:36 +0100 (+0100), Thierry Carrez wrote:
[...]
> Upstream contributors are represented by the Technical Committee
> and vote for it. Downstream contributors are represented by the
> User Committee and (imho) should vote for it.
[...]

Right, this brings up the other important point I meant to make. The
purpose of the "ATC" designation is to figure out who gets to vote
for the Technical Committee, as a form of self-governance. That's
all, but it's very important (in my opinion, far, far, far more
important than some look-at-me status on a conference badge or a
hand-out on free admission to an event). Granting votes for the
upstream technical governing body to people who aren't involved
directly in upstream technology decisions makes little sense, or at
least causes it to cease being self-governance (as much as letting
all of OpenStack's software developers decide who should run the
User Committee would make it no longer well represent downstream
users).

I worry that "ATC means I get into events for free" is conflating
two completely incidental factors and causes focus on the wrong
issues. Let's figure out how to get the community better involved in
these events, but making everyone an "ATC" isn't really the solution
to that problem.
--
Jeremy Stanley