[Openstack-operators] [openstack-community] Recognising Ops contributions

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Mar 4 09:02:36 UTC 2016

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2016-03-03 10:41:45 -0800 (-0800), Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> [...]
>> I suggest not to create a separate category, and reuse ATC. Active
>> Technical Contributor always meant to include any contribution of
>> technical nature, including legal, operations, documentation, user
>> stories, etc. Creating a new name risks TLA proliferation (it's a
>> thing) and exacerbate the "us vs them" that already exists. ATCs
>> would already know that they are operators, doc writers, UX
>> experts, marketers, translators, developers, laywers etc and all
>> have their own venues to meet and discuss among their peers.
>
> I agree that we should use a common contributor term for all of
> them (inclusivity is important and we're all one community), but I
> actually disagree with our current use of "ATC" for this at all
> because it's a term defined in the foundation bylaws and, while the
> people who have "ATC" on their badges and get free conference
> admission are a _subset_ of the ATC definition in the bylaws, who
> gets free admission is decided by the conference coordinators on an
> event-by-event basis and often does not extend to _all_ official
> ATCs (for example, people with contributions in the prior cycle but
> not the current cycle are officially ATC but don't get free
> admission for that).

Yeah, we can't really overload ATC because this is defined and used in
governance. I'd rather call all of us "contributors".

There are "upstream" contributors (people who author changes to the
various git repositories that make up OpenStack), and "downstream"
contributors (people who help others using OpenStack, by moderating Ops
meetups, by filing bugs, by answering questions on Ask, by contributing
a blogpost, etc...). Some people contribute both upstream and
downstream. Upstream contributors are represented by the Technical
Committee and vote for it. Downstream contributors are represented by
the User Committee and (imho) should vote for it.

If any perks are associated to contribution, they should apply equally
to upstream and downstream contributors, because both aspects are
equally important.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)