[Openstack-operators] Setting affinity based on instance type

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 17:34:48 UTC 2016

On 03/03/2016 08:57 AM, Robert Starmer wrote:
> There was work done on enabling much more dynamic scheduling, including
> cross project scheduling (e.g. get additional placement hints from
> Neutron or Cinder), and I believe the framework is even in place to make
> use of this, but I don't believe anyone has written a scheduling
> component to make use of this.  I think your best bet would be to build
> a custom weighted scheduler, which could be as simple as a linearly
> decreasing weight for one group and the inverse for the other group.
> Certainly this wouldn't be perfect, but might address your needs.

My ideas for replacing server groups with generic placement policies are
written down here, with some excellent feedback from a number of reviewers:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/183837/

Would be great to get additional eyeballs on it. I was planning on
reviving these ideas in the Newton and Ocata releases once the scheduler
is split out from Nova.

Best,
-jay