[Openstack-operators] Taking Scientific WG Ops Meetup Feedback back to Ceilometer

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Mar 2 15:54:03 UTC 2016

We’re starting to have a look at gnocchi in order to address the large storage volumes. We plan on using the Ceph backend for storage.

One part of the documentation set that we were missing was a guide to how to migrate from ceilometer to a ceilometer/gnocchi combination (which I understand is the ultimate architecture). We would like to migrate the historical data we have stored in ceilometer.

The main line documentation (such as http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/) does not yet contain details on the Gnocchi configuration so some people may miss this option when following the docs. The gnocchi.xyz has good content but it is not the standard configuration guides. I guess once Gnocchi is into the Big Tent then this sort of integration can occur.

It’s early days yet so we don’t yet have the feeling for running Gnocchi at scale.

Tim