[Openstack-operators] Cinder attach volume

Alexandra Kisin KISIN at il.ibm.com
Wed Jul 20 13:02:01 UTC 2016

Hello.
I'm working on Liberty Openstack environment using
ibm.storwize_svc.StorwizeSVCDriver as volume_drivert.
When I'm creating a new volume and attaching it to the VM - by default it
will be /dev/vdX on the instance using virtio driver.
And this way everything is working fine.

But I need it to be /dev/sdX for my application needs.
I tried to create a new type of the volume by running :
        cinder type-create SATA
        cinder type-key SATA set volume_backend_name=sata
But when I start a volume create process , it fails - the new volume has
error state and the error in cinder-scheduler.log is :
         ERROR cinder.scheduler.flows.create_volume Failed to run task
cinder.scheduler.flows.create_volume.ScheduleCreateVolumeTask;volume:create:
No valid host was found. No weighed hosts available

Please advise how a volume can be attached as /dev/sdX device and not
/dev/vdX.
The solution of stop the VM first and only then attach a volume can also
be taken in account.

Thank you.

Regards,

Alexandra Kisin
Servers & Network group, IBM R&D Labs in Israel
Unix & Virtualization Team

Phone: +972-48296172 | Mobile: +972-54-6976172 | Fax: +972-4-8296111