[Openstack-operators] [nova] Rabbit-mq 3.4 crashing (anyone else seen this?)

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Tue Jul 5 17:25:15 UTC 2016

Yes! This happens often but I'd not call it a crash, just the mgmt db gets
behind then eats all the memory. We've started monitoring it and have
runbooks on how to bounce just the mgmt db. Here are my notes on that:

restart rabbitmq mgmt server - this seems to clear the memory usage.

rabbitmqctl eval 'application:stop(rabbitmq_management).'
rabbitmqctl eval 'application:start(rabbitmq_management).'

run GC on rabbit_mgmt_db:
rabbitmqctl eval
'(erlang:garbage_collect(global:whereis_name(rabbit_mgmt_db)))'

status of rabbit_mgmt_db:
rabbitmqctl eval 'sys:get_status(global:whereis_name(rabbit_mgmt_db)).'

Rabbitmq mgmt DB how much memory is used:
/usr/sbin/rabbitmqctl status | grep mgmt_db

Unfortunately I didn't see that an upgrade would fix for sure and any
settings changes to reduce the number of monitored events also require a
restart of the cluster. The other issue with an upgrade for us is the
ancient version of erlang shipped with trusty. When we upgrade to Xenial
we'll upgrade erlang and rabbit and hope it goes away. I'll also probably
tweak the settings on retention of events then too.

Also for the record the GC doesn't seem to help at all.