[Openstack-operators] question on project_id formats

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jan 11 20:44:35 UTC 2016

It has come in looking at ways to remove project_ids from API urls that
the format of a project_id is actually quite poorly specified in
OpenStack. This makes dual stacking supporting the project_id and not
the project id at the same time a little challenging because the
matching to figure out which controller is going to get called goes a
little nuts.

For anyone using upstream Keystone, they'll get a uuid (no dashes)
unless they work really hard at changing it.

RAX currently doesn't use upstream Keystone, they use ints as their
project ids.

What I'm curious about is if anyone else is doing something in
specifying project_ids in their cloud. As this is going to impact the
solution going forward here.

We're currently pondering a default enforcement of uuid form if you are
using the project id in the url, with a config override to allow a
different schema (as we know there is at least one cloud in the wild
that is different).

Comments welcomed.

	-Sean

--