[Openstack-operators] Nova-network -> Neutron Migration

Kevin Bringard (kevinbri) kevinbri at cisco.com
Wed Feb 17 19:45:10 UTC 2016

Hey Ned!

Thoughts in line...

On 2/17/16, 12:02 PM, "Ned Rhudy (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)" <erhudy at bloomberg.net> wrote:

>We're in mostly the same boat; using nova-network with VLAN segmentation and looking at a Neutron migration (though ours may take a more drastic path and take us to Neutron+Calico). One question I have for you: the largest issue and conceptual leap we had when
> initially prototyping Neutron+linuxbridge was that our current model only has controllers and work nodes, with no provisions for dedicated network nodes to route in/out of the cluster. All our work nodes can route by themselves, which would have steered us
> towards a DVR model, but that seems to have its own issues as well as mandating OVS.
>

>Since your branch indicates you're using linuxbridge on Icehouse, are you provisioning network nodes as part of your migration, or are you avoiding needing to provision network nodes in a different fashion?

We're in a similar situation... We have control nodes and hypervisors (work nodes). We put the nova-network L3 functionality on the control nodes (so not a DVR/"nova-networking-ha" model). I'm still working out the specific details of the L3 migration, but in the lab I've been able to create a corresponding logical router, set the upstream gateway, and then assign floating Ips to tenants. My next step was going to be to map them over (like we've done for the L2 ports) such that starting the L3 agent plumbs everything the way it currently is in nova-network, with l3 still homed on the control nodes. Alternatively, I've created a standalone hardware router, plumbed the network into the existing tenant VLAN in a VRF, and handed control over to the corresponding L3 plugin for that hardware (this is why I added functionality to keep the tenant networks on the same VLAN instead of simply assigning a new one).

I also know of some people who are putting the neutron l3 agents on the hypervisors. I don't think they have any special scheduling done to make sure floaters are mapped to Vms on that particular node, but that may work for you as well, and kind of resembles the nova-network-ha model... Especially if you map the floaters to agents on the physical node the floater is currently on you'd save yourself the ARP trouble. I don't want to throw them under the bus, so I'll let them speak up if they care to talk about that :-)

As far as Calico goes, I wouldn't even know where to start... I've not looked at it enough to have any thoughts.

I hope that helps. I'm going to be at the summit one way or another so I'd love to find some time to meet up and chat about it in person if you'd like.

-- Kevin