[Openstack-operators] [nova] VM HA support in trunk

Bajin, Joseph jbajin at verisign.com
Tue Feb 16 14:17:24 UTC 2016

I would have to agree with Matt.  The ability for any sort of handling of failures either reside within the application or tools around the application to make it work.  Having the infrastructure handle the failures, I believe, is a slippery slope that is starting to appear more and more.

I do fear that many people/organizations are starting to look at the cloud as a “low cost” or “free” VMWare solution.  They want the same enterprise based availability and support that they get with a vendor paid solution without the cost of the vendor paid solution.   I have started to see and hear more about how vendors are adding “enterprise” solutions to OpenStack.  This includes High Availability features that rely on the infrastructure to manage instead of the application.  I fear the direction of all the projects will begin migrating this way as more vendors get involve and want to figure out business models that they can use around “enterprise” feature-sets.

—Joe