[Openstack-operators] Analogs of EC2 dedicated instances & dedicated hosts?

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 23:50:46 UTC 2016

Hi Conrad,

On 20 December 2016 at 09:24, Kimball, Conrad <conrad.kimball at boeing.com> wrote:
> ·         Dedicated instances:  an OpenStack tenant can deploy VM instances
> that are guaranteed to not share a compute host with any other tenant (for
> example, as the tenant I want physical segregation of my compute).

You can certainly do this, however you will need to configure either
scheduler and/or host aggregates on a per case/tenant basis for
projects that have this isolation requirement - depending on how
dynamic this is in your environment you may want to automate that. In
any case, the AggregateMultiTenancyIsolation scheduler filter is what
you want I think. Alternatively, if the requirement can be met using
VM images then the IsolatedHostsFilter may also be an option (e.g. the
VM image is kept private and only tenant/s allowed to use that image
on that host will have Glance member access to the image).

> ·         Dedicated hosts: goes beyond dedicated instances, allowing an
> OpenStack tenant to explicitly place only specific VM instances onto the
> same compute host (for example, as the tenant I want to place VMs foo and
> bar onto the same compute host to share a software license that is licensed
> per host).

As Kris said, ServerGroup filters are probably the way to go for this
one, but the IsolatedHostsFilter may also work if the licensing
requirements can be expressed at the Glance image level.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo