[Openstack-operators] Any serious stability and performance issues on RBD as ephemeral storage ?

Vahric Muhtaryan vahric at doruk.net.tr
Sat Dec 10 16:39:37 UTC 2016

Thanks Mike ,
Thanks for sharing
VM

From:  Mike Smith <mismith at overstock.com>
Date:  Saturday, 10 December 2016 at 08:22
To:  Vahric Muhtaryan <vahric at doruk.net.tr>
Cc:  David Medberry <openstack at medberry.net>,
"openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org"
<openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>, "matt at mattjarvis.org.uk"
<matt at mattjarvis.org.uk>
Subject:  Re: [Openstack-operators] Any serious stability and performance
issues on RBD as ephemeral storage ?

Vahric -

We use Ceph for nova ephemeral as well on thousands of VMs and we love it.
Fast provisioning of VMs, solid, reliable and flexible.   Works great with
live-migration.  The only time we ever have a problem is an OSD is allowed
to get too full.  Never let that happen!

Mike Smith
Lead Cloud Systems Architect
Overstock.com <http://overstock.com>

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Matt Jarvis <matt at mattjarvis.org.uk> wrote:
>
> I'd say using Ceph for ephemeral disks is the most common deployment pattern,
> at DataCentred we've been using it for years. It's rock solid and has been for
> several releases. There were some edge case issues around resizing and
> snapshotting, but I think that's all been fixed in the last couple of
> iterations.
>
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM, David Medberry <openstack at medberry.net> wrote:
>> We've been using it and recommending it for years. It solves many many
>> problems with a running cloud and there have been very few issues. Pay close
>> attention when upgrading versions of CEPH and do things in the right order
>> and you will be fine!
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Vahric Muhtaryan <vahric at doruk.net.tr> wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I would like to use ephemeral disks with ceph instead of on nova compute
>>> node. I saw that there is an option to configure it but find many different
>>> bugs and reports for its not working , not stable , no success at the
>>> instance creation time.
>>> Anybody In this list use ceph as an ephemeral storage without any problem ?
>>> Could you pls share your experiences pls ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> VM

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use and review
information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering the message solely to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone or
return email. Thank you.