[Openstack-operators] Neutron L2-GW operators experience [l2-gateway]

Saverio Proto zioproto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 15:33:13 UTC 2016

Hello all,

we want to bridge one of our tenants networks with a physical network
where we have some hardware appliances.

we can't easily use provider networks, because our compute-nodes are
connected over a L3 network, so there is not a shared L2 segment where
we can bridge the VMs regardless of the compute-node where they are
scheduled to.

Googling about the best way to address this issue I found that
somebody had already started with this solution:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/L2-GW

This looks exactly what I need, but there is not a lot of
documentation and packages, and I wonder if it is something production
ready.

I found that Ubuntu has packages here:
http://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/pool/main/n/networking-l2gw/

but I can't really get from the version number if these packages are
supposed to be for Liberty or Mitaka.

Has anyone on the list experience with this Neutron feature ?

thank you

Saverio