[Openstack-operators] can we lock RPC version with upgrade_levels on neutron-openvswitch-agent ?

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Sat Aug 6 07:17:35 UTC 2016

Saverio Proto <zioproto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we are doing the upgrade Kilo to Liberty pet by pet.
>
> We already upgraded successfully Keystone and Glance.
>
> Now I started the Nova pet upgrade. For the controller node it was ok.
>
> As soon as I upgraded the compute nodes I had a problem with neutron.
>
> I can't lock the neutron-openvswitch-agent to and earlier RPC version,
> so I get in my logs:
>
> RemoteError: Remote error: UnsupportedVersion Endpoint does not
> support RPC version 1.5. Attempted method:
> get_devices_details_list_and_failed_devices
>
> Do I must upgrade also the neutron server di Liberty before upgrading
> the compute nodes ?
>
> In nova.conf there are the [upgrade_levels]. Looks like these are
> ignored by the neutron-openvswitch-agent. There is not any similar
> settings in the neutron.conf ?

Neutron so far does not support RPC pinning. There is ongoing preparatory
work running in Newton to allow to take more control of RPC payload on the
wire, though the path taken will probably differ from Nova implementation
(providing multiple RPC payload versions depending on agents running in the
cluster, instead of downgrading all of them to the lowest common version.)
The work will take a while to shape.

As for your particular problem, it seems like you run Kilo Neutron
controller while Liberty OVS agents? That’s not going to work. The only
upgrade order supported is: first server, then agents:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/neutron/devref/upgrade.html#rolling-upgrade

If you still have issues once you adopt the correct upgrade order in your
procedure, please comment.

Ihar