[Openstack-operators] Blazar? (Reservations and/or scheduled termination)

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 03:51:26 UTC 2016

We discussed Blazar fairly extensively in a couple of recent
scientific-wg meetings. I'm having trouble searching out right the irc
log to support this but IIRC the problem with Blazar as is for the
typical virtualised cloud (non-Ironic) use-case is that it uses an
old/deprecated Nova API extension in order to reserve capacity for a
lease (I think it was something to do with shelve-offload, but I could
have my wires crossed). Whereas with Ironic it manipulates
host-aggregates.

I like the idea of the positive, "yes I'm still using this",
confirmation, but it needs a tie into the dashboard. For those of us
using identity federations to bootstrap users this would also help
with account cleanup, as users who no longer have access (e.g., left
the sector) to the dashboard would not be able to extend resource
usage (without talking to support etc).

Cheers,

On 4 August 2016 at 03:23, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> When I last looked, Blazar allows you to reserve instances for a given time. An example would be
>
> - We are organizing a user training session for 100 physicists from Monday to Friday
> - We need that each user is able to create 2 VMs within a single shared project (as the images etc. are set up before)
> - OpenStack should ensure that these resources would be available (or reject the request) and schedule other Blazar requests around it
>
> This does need other functionality though which is currently not there
>
> - Spot instances, i.e. give me the resources if they are available but kill when you have a reservation. Alvaro is proposing a talk for some work done in Indigo Datacloud project for this at the summit (votes welcome).
> - Impending shutdown notification .. save what you want quickly because you’re going to be deleted
>
> We have a use case where we offer each user a quota of 2 VMs for ‘Personal’ use. This gives a good onboarding experience but the problem is that our users forget they asked for resources. Something where we can define a default lifetime for a VM (ideally, a project) and users need to positively confirm they want to extend the lifetime would help identify these forgotten VMs.
>
> I think a good first step would be
>
> - An agreed metadata structure for a VM with an expiry date
> - An agreed project metadata giving the default length of the VM
> - An OSops script which finds those VMs exceeding the agreed period and goes through a ‘suspend’ for N days followed by a delete M days afterwards (to catch the accidents)
>
> I think this can be done in Nova as is if this is not felt to be a ‘standard’ function but we should agree on the names/concepts.
>
> Some of the needs are covered in https://openstack-in-production.blogspot.fr/2016/04/resource-management-at-cern.html
>
> Tim
>

> On 03/08/16 18:47, "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon at csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     As a private cloud operatior who doesn't charge internal users, I'd
>     really like a way to force users to set an exiration time on their
>     instances so if they forget about them they go away.
>
>     I'd though Blazar was the thing to look at and Chameleoncloud.org
>     seems to be using it (any of you around here?) but it also doesn't
>     look like it's seen substantive work in a long time.
>
>     Anyone have operational exprience with blazar to share or other
>     solutions?
>
>     -Jon

Cheers,
~Blairo