[Openstack-operators] Blazar? (Reservations and/or scheduled termination)

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Wed Aug 3 17:12:12 UTC 2016

We do something similar.  We give everyone in the company an account on the internal cloud.  By default they have a user-<username> project.  We have a Jenkins job that adds metadata to all vm’s that are in user- projects.  We then have additional jobs that read that metadata and determine when the VM has been alive for x period of time.  At 45 days we send an email saying that we will remove the vm in 15 days, and they can request a 30 day extension (which really just resets some metadata information on the vm).  On day 60 the vm is shut down and removed.  For non user- projects, people are allowed to have their vm’s created as long as they want.

I believe I remember seeing something presented in the paris(?) time frame by overstock(?) that would treat vm’s more as a lease.  IE You get an env for 90 days, it goes away at the end of that.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy