[Openstack-operators] Neutron DHCP agent local routes

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Fri Apr 22 17:20:22 UTC 2016

Yes, there is an unfortunate possibility of confusion around the word
'subnet'. To some, that means a network segment, or VLAN, and to some
that just means the specific IP subnet. Neutron takes the latter view,
and treats multiple subnets as multiple IP ranges on the same VLAN
(which Neutron calls a 'network').

So if you add multiple subnets to a network, then it is assumed that
means multiple subnets on one physical network, or VLAN (even when
using VXLAN or GRE, there is an internal VLAN segment ID).

There is ongoing work to address the use case where you have a set of
networks that belongs to one tenant, but they are different subnets on
different VLANs with routing between them. See the 'routed networks'
work by Carl Baldwin et. al. That seems to be what the OP was going for
by adding multiple subnets to one network.

Alternately, the desired end state can probably be achieved by simply
using one subnet per network, but using a separate network for each
192.168.10.x, 192.168.11.x, and 192.168.12.x.

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack