[Openstack-operators] [puppet] Multi-node installation

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 20:17:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Rayson Ho <raysonlogin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've followed the All-In-One installation of Puppet OpenStack and got a
> working OpenStack Cloud for our dev & test environment (previously we used
> DevStack). Now I would like to expand the OpenStack Cloud to run multiple on
> multiple nodes for Nova & Neutron to further our proof of concept setup.

Just a funny note: when we created this repository, it was for our CI
purpose and I see there are a lot of people using it now for testing
purpose. I think this is good because it helps people to get involved
in the modules.

> Questions:
>
> - What do I need to change so that the All-In-One installation of Puppet
> OpenStack runs on more machines?

Well, if you're familiar with Puppet, you'll notice that we're not
using Hiera or dynamic site.pp, so there is some amount of work before
we can run it in multinode.
Though we have tried and we are still thinking about it. We'll have
this discussion at OpenStack Summit, so hopefully we can have plans
for Newton about it.

> - And if I need to start from scratch, then is there a doc that describes
> the multi-machine setup process? I could only find the Puppet/Deploy in (
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Puppet/Deploy ), but it is only for all in
> one installation.

If you need to start a composition layer from scratch, you'll need to
compose the manifests yourself.
Puppet OpenStack is not an opinionated project like TripleO, Fuel,
Kolla. We're a library of Puppet modules that you can use at wish.
You need to be a bit familiar with Puppet.
But if you look at wat we do in puppet-openstack-integration, you're
missing a few parameters to make it work in multi-node, it should not
be hard.

Thanks for bringing this up,
--
Emilien Macchi