[Openstack-operators] Encrypted Ephemeral Storage

Chris Buccella chris.buccella at verilume.com
Thu Apr 7 19:42:19 UTC 2016

Has anyone tried using encrypted ephemeral storage for nova?

I setup nova to use LVM as it's backend and added the
[ephemeral_storage_encryption] and [keymgr] sections to nova.conf. Upon
booting a new instance, the instance volume is named as if it's encrypted
("-dmcrypt" is appended to the volume name), but it is not encrypted. No
errors in the logs.

Looking at the source code, I don't see "cryptsetup luksFormat" being
called anywhere.

Is this feature half-baked, or am I misunderstanding how it's supposed to
work?

I'm running Kilo.

Thanks,

-Chris