[Openstack-operators] [vmware] linked clone between glance and nova and/or cinder ?

gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org
Thu Apr 7 08:38:28 UTC 2016

Hello stackers !

Instance creation from image needs a network transfer between glance and
nova. If you use a cinder volume as a backend for your instance, the
transfers is from glance to cinder.

If you use Ceph as a storage backend for glance and cinder, instance
from volume, it's possible to use COW and so, no network transfer
between glance and cinder.

I would like to do the same with VMware, storing glance images, nova
instances and cinder volume on VMware Datastores and using linked
clones. Mainly because transfers between glance and nova/cinder is very
long ! I don't know why but I only get 50ko/s.

If you use snapshots, it's very boring to wait two times, transfer to
glance and then from glance...

I don't find anything about that. Is anyone knows how VMware Integrated
OpenStack handle that ?