[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [cinder] [all] The future of Cinder API v1

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at internap.com
Tue Sep 29 16:31:42 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-28 11:43 PM, John Griffith wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Mark Voelker <mvoelker at vmware.com
> <mailto:mvoelker at vmware.com>> wrote:
>
>     FWIW, the most popular client libraries in the last user survey[1]
>     other than OpenStack’s own clients were: libcloud (48 respondents),
>     jClouds (36 respondents), Fog (34 respondents), php-opencloud (21
>     respondents), DeltaCloud (which has been retired by Apache and
>     hasn’t seen a commit in two years, but 17 respondents are still
>     using it), pkgcloud (15 respondents), and OpenStack.NET (14
>     respondents).  Of those:
>
>     * libcloud appears to support the nova-volume API but not the cinder
>     API:
>     https://github.com/apache/libcloud/blob/trunk/libcloud/compute/drivers/openstack.py#L251
>
>     * jClouds appears to support only the v1 API:
>     https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/tree/jclouds-1.9.1/apis/openstack-cinder/src/main/java/org/jclouds
>
>     * Fog also appears to only support the v1 API:
>     https://github.com/fog/fog/blob/master/lib/fog/openstack/volume.rb#L99
>
>     * php-opencloud appears to only support the v1 API:
>     https://php-opencloud.readthedocs.org/en/latest/services/volume/index.html
>
>     * DeltaCloud I honestly haven’t looked at since it’s thoroughly
>     dead, but I can’t imagine it supports v2.
>
>     * pkgcloud has beta-level support for Cinder but I think it’s v1
>     (may be mistaken):
>     https://github.com/pkgcloud/pkgcloud/#block-storage----beta and
>     https://github.com/pkgcloud/pkgcloud/tree/master/lib/pkgcloud/openstack/blockstorage
>
>     * OpenStack.NET does appear to support v2:
>     http://www.openstacknetsdk.org/docs/html/T_net_openstack_Core_Providers_IBlockStorageProvider.htm
>
>     Now, it’s anyone’s guess as to whether or not users of those client
>     libraries actually try to use them for volume operations or not
>     (anecdotally I know a few clouds I help support are using client
>     libraries that only support v1), and some users might well be using
>     more than one library or mixing in code they wrote themselves.  But
>     most of the above that support cinder do seem to rely on v1.  Some
>     management tools also appear to still rely on the v1 API (such as
>     RightScale:
>     http://docs.rightscale.com/clouds/openstack/openstack_config_prereqs.html
>     ).  From that perspective it might be useful to keep it around a
>     while longer and disable it by default.  Personally I’d probably
>     lean that way, especially given that folks here on the ops list are
>     still reporting problems too.
>
>     That said, v1 has been deprecated since Juno, and the Juno release
>     notes said it was going to be removed [2], so there’s a case to be
>     made that there’s been plenty of fair warning too I suppose.
>
>     [1]
>     http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-application-developers-share-insights
>     [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReleaseNotes/Juno#Upgrade_Notes_7
>
>     At Your Service,
>
>     Mark T. Voelker

> [...]

I agree with John Griffith. I don't have any empirical evidences to back
my "feelings" on that one but it's true that we weren't enable to enable
Cinder v2 until now.

Which makes me wonder: When can we actually deprecate an API version? I
*feel* we are fast to jump on the deprecation when the replacement isn't
100% ready yet for several versions.

--
Mathieu