[Openstack-operators] [Large Deployments Team][Tags] Ops Tag for "Scale"

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun Sep 27 00:10:07 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Shamail's message of 2015-09-26 11:40:17 -0700:
> Hi Large Deployments Team,
>
> The ops-tags team was brainstorming potential future tags at our last meeting and one topic of interest was to express the "scale" a service can operate at via tags.
>
> Scale, of course, can imply several different dimensions (not to mention test types).  We figured who better to talk to about the definition of scale than the large deployment team.  :-)
>
> Can you please help us understand how your team classifies a deployment as being large?  I recall that, in the initial discussions, LDT was using the number of nodes.  Is this still the case?  Does large deployment factor in things such as throughout requirements, number of networks, number of volumes, etc. when deciding if a deployment is "large"?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.  If it makes more sense to discuss this topic at the next LDT meeting then I would be glad to join.

I wasn't involved with the discussion, but I think it is an important one.

IMO, the objective way to do this is to add tests for scaling factors,
like ensuring reasonable resource cost per operation, response time during
simulated high concurrency, and actual large scale 3rd-party CI. If a
project hasn't done that, they shouldn't be considered "high scale".

(note that I don't think any of the projects actually has these things
surfaced upstream, but we are definitely going to need these things)