[Openstack-operators] Operator Local Patches

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Fri Sep 18 22:35:10 UTC 2015

Hello Operators!

During the ops meetup in Palo Alto were we talking about sessions for Tokyo. A session that I purposed, that got a bunch of +1's,  was about local patches that operators were carrying.  From my experience this is done to either implement business logic,  fix assumptions in projects that do not apply to your implementation, implement business requirements that are not yet implemented in openstack, or fix scale related bugs.  What I would like to do is get a working group together to do the following:

1.) Document local patches that operators have (even those that are in gerrit right now waiting to be committed upstream)
2.) Figure out commonality in those patches
3.) Either upstream the common fixes to the appropriate projects or figure out if a hook can be added to allow people to run their code at that specific point
4.) ????
5.) Profit

To start this off, I have documented every patch, along with a description of what it does and why we did it (where needed), that GoDaddy is running [1].  What I am asking is that the operator community please update the etherpad with the patches that you are running, so that we have a good starting point for discussions in Tokyo and beyond.

[1] - https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/operator-local-patches
Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy