[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators] how to get current resource usage of an instance

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Sep 16 13:14:07 UTC 2015

On 9/16/2015 5:24 AM, Abhishek Talwar wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

> I have an OpenStack kilo setup and I am trying to get the memory usage
> of the instances created in it.
>
> I researched and found that ceilometer has a meter called "memory.usage"
> that can give us the memory utilization of an instance. However, on
> doing ceilometer meter-list it does not list "memory.usage" as a meter.
> After searching I found that this problem is being faced by many
> contributors and a possible solution is changing nova configurations
> that does not help.
>
> So can you help me with some other possible solution that can help me in
> finding an instance's current memory utilization. I am working with
> something that would require getting the memory and disk utilization.
>
> Please provide a solution for this.
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Abhishek Talwar
>
> =====-----=====-----=====
> and any attachments. Thank you

The server diagnostics API in nova would also provide memory usage:

/v2/​{tenant_id}​/servers/​{server_id}​/diagnostics

In stable/kilo the code for that is here:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/kilo/nova/api/openstack/compute/contrib/server_diagnostics.py

Note that in the v2 API the diagnostics returned from the API is
different depending on the backing hypervisor.

In the v2.1 API there is a uniform diagnostics dict returned which is
virt-driver agnostic.  In v2.1 you get a serialized form of this
Diagnostics object:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/kilo/nova/virt/diagnostics.py#L93

Matt Riedemann