[Openstack-operators] [tags] Results of PAO Ops Meeting

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Sep 14 04:49:46 UTC 2015

Hi all,

A quick update from our tags team meeting in Palo Alto last month.

1) Containerizable - new tag

David Medberry suggested and then submitted a patch to start discussion
around a tag for whether or not a service is containerizable  - which is
hard-won knowledge that was deemed nice to have during the containers
session of the meetup.

Read and comment on the review here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/214801/

2) Scalable - not possible to tag

Using the large number of scaling problems with Ceilometer as an
example, in addition to many other ideas, we did a deep dive into how a
tag related to scalability would be implemented.

The end conclusion was that whether a service scales or not is extremely
complex information and has an associated decision making process that
means it isn't possible to condense into a tag or even a few tags. The
only real way to do this is to provide information about example
deployments (eg rax, cern)

3) "works in rally" - new tag suggestion

There was general interest in asking the Rally team to consider making a
"works in rally" tag, since the rally tests were deemed 'good'.

There were a number of other suggestions, including some items to
propose to the software projects for consideration. All that and more
can be found at the etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PAO-ops-tags

Your comments are welcome, and as always, patches visible and submitted to:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:stackforge/ops-tags-team,n,z

Regards,

Tom