[Openstack-operators] Rate limit an max_count

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Thu Sep 10 14:11:19 UTC 2015

While I think there is probably some value in rate limiting API calls, I
think your "user wants to launch x000 instances" is extremely limited.
There's maybe 1 or 2 (or 0) operators that have that amount of spare
capacity just sitting around that they can allow a user to have a quota of
2000 instances without doing an infrastructure build-out.

The real value in rate limiting, as long as it can be done without limiting
performance, is in handling users who are DoSing the APIs, intentionally or
not.