[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] Min libvirt for Mitaka is 0.10.2 and suggest Nxxx uses 1.1.1

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 11:25:08 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 11:13:12AM +0000, Tim Bell wrote:

> Although Red Hat is no longer supporting RHEL 6 after Icehouse, a number of
> users such as GoDaddy and CERN are using Software Collections to run the
> Python 2.7 code.

Do you have any educated guess as to when you might switch to deploying
new OpenStack version exclusively on RHEL 7 ? I understand such a switch
is likely to take a while so you can test its performance and reliability
and so on, but I'm assuming you'll eventually switch ?

> However, since this modification would only take place when Mitaka gets
> released, this would realistically give those sites a year to complete
> migration to RHEL/CentOS 7 assuming they are running from one of the
> community editions.
>
> What does the 1.1.1 version bring that is the motivation for raising the
> limit ?

If we require 1.1.1 we could have unconditional support for

 - Hot-unplug of PCI devices (needs 1.1.1)
 - Live snapshots (needs 1.0.0)
 - Live volume snapshotting (needs 1.1.1)
 - Disk sector discard support (needs 1.0.6)
 - Hyper-V clock tunables (needs 1.0.0 & 1.1.0)

If you lack those versions, in case of hotunplug, and live volume
snapshots we just refuse the corresponding API call. With live
snapshots we fallback to non-live snapshots. For disk discard and
hyperv clock we just run with degraded functionality. The lack of
hyperv clock tunables means Windows guests will have unreliable
time keeping and are likely to suffer random BSOD, which I think
is a particularly important issue.

And of course we remove a bunch of conditional logic from Nova
which simplifies the code paths and removes code paths which
rarely get testing coverage.

Regards,
Daniel