[Openstack-operators] Neutron getting stuck creating namespaces

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 21:01:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Bajin, Joseph <jbajin at verisign.com> wrote:
> We haven’t seen the bad namespaces issue, but we have experienced an issue where our node eventually started to see soft lockups like these:
>
> kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!
>
> We noticed it once we hit a high amount of namespaces. It was definitely over 400, as we didn’t realize that the option to delete namespaces was reverted from true to false a few releases ago.

Note that since the Liberty release the option is set to True by
default so that DHCP and router namespaces will be deleted whenever
their respective resources are.

We cleaned up the namespaces and those errors would stop showing up,
then eventually over time those namespaces rose again to a high level,
and this time we were lucky to have the soft lockup not on the neutron
process, but on the kernel scheduler.  That is where our reboot
happened as the system realized that it was dead and restarted it.