[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators][osops] tools-contrib is open for business!

Mike Dorman mdorman at godaddy.com
Fri Nov 20 16:26:36 UTC 2015

First let me just say that I find nothing more infuriating than “software licensing.”  We burn so much effort on this, when all we want to do is share the code to help others.  </soapbox>

I agree with Joe, I thought the agreement was stuff in “contrib” wouldn’t need license, specific formatting, test, etc.  So I feel like a blanket notice in the README is sufficient there.  We should keep the bar to this very low (simple lint checking only, IMO.)  Then do get into the “curated” repos, you have to have a proper license, formatting, etc.

Since the Apache 2 doc says “SHOULD”, I would argue we don’t make a license required for contrib, but recommend that people do put it in there as best practice.  But we shouldn’t hold up reviews and not merge stuff into contrib just because of a lack of license.

As an end user who just wants to put my stuff out there, it’s this kind of crap that makes me abandon the effort and not try again.  (Here is another good example: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/247725/ )

Mike