[Openstack-operators] OPs Midcycle location discussion.

Clayton O'Neill clayton at oneill.net
Wed Nov 18 21:36:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Erik McCormick <emccormick at cirrusseven.com>
wrote:

> > 2) More technically we'll need to address the challenge of local
> > sound, how to we ensure all the mostly spontaious talk in a large work
> > session makes it to remote participants.  Passing a mic is a bit
> > cumbersome and hard to enforce, while mic'ing the room to properly get
> > ambient sound isn't likely something we can do without significant
> > professional help.
> >

> This is a technical issue that needs dealing with for sure. Passing a
> mic is absolutely not practical, so it would need to be some sort of
> ambient thing. We can't even get people to consistently go to a mic
> during Q&A at the end of summit presentations. I've seen enough
> teleconferencing systems that cover large boardroom settings to know
> that such things exist, but I have no specific knowledge of what they
> are, if they can be rented, or how much they cost. That will require a
> lot of digging into.

A key difference between the Ceph summit and the Ops Mid-cycle appears to
be that the Ops Mid-cycle is at least an order of magnitude bigger.

For a good amount of the Philly and Palo Alto mid-cycles there were 200ish
people in a single room.  Audio was a problem even for people sitting in
the room at times.   I think this is beyond “large boardroom” size.