[Openstack-operators] [puppet] Can we install OpenStack components using puppet but through source?

Xav Paice xavpaice at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 06:23:22 UTC 2015

It's possible to do this if you build your own packages and name them the
same as the distro packages - then make sure that you have all the deps etc
as well.

I'm making packages for Ubuntu by re-using some of the Ubuntu Cloud
Archive, some of Debian, and some of my own packaging code, and building
packages now in a venv.  I then put those packages in an apt repo, add the
repo to the box, and the Puppet modules pick up the custom packages just
fine.

I guess it's down to your goals though - if you want to build from source
to get fixes in fast, then this works, but if you're after a developer
workstation then you probably want to use Devstack.  It's the same code,
just miles easier to develop with in that format because all the git stuff
is taken care of.

BTW, +1 for openstack-ansible, and I'll add a note to go find out about
Giftwrap too (https://github.com/blueboxgroup/giftwrap) - you can fix that
to use your own repo if you want.

For my next iteration I'll have a go at Giftwrap for the actual Python
code, and make sundry packages to keep Puppet happy and plug in the distro
specific stuff like init scripts etc that are missing from the sources.