[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [stable][all] Keeping Juno "alive" for longer.

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 9 17:35:06 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-09 17:11:35 +0000 (+0000), Tom Cameron wrote:
[...]
> I support an LTS release strategy because it will allow more
> adoption for more sectors by offering that stability everyone's
> talking about. But, it shouldn't be a super-super long support
> offering. Maybe steal some of Ubuntu's game and do an LTS every 4
> releases or so (24 months), but then maybe Openstack only supports
> them for 24 months time? Again, my concern is that this is free,
> open source software and you're probably not going to get many
> community members to volunteer to offer their precious time fixing
> bugs in a 2-year-old codebase that have been fixed for 18 months
> in a newer version.
[...]

Because we want people to be able upgrade their deployments, the
problem runs deeper than just backporting some fixes to a particular
branch for longer periods of time. Unfortunately the original poster
cross-posted this thread to multiple mailing lists so the discussion
has rapidly bifurcated, but I addressed this particular topic in my
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/078735.html
reply.
--
Jeremy Stanley