[Openstack-operators] [stable][all] Keeping Juno "alive" for longer.

Donald Talton DonaldTalton at fico.com
Fri Nov 6 16:47:01 UTC 2015

I like the idea of LTS releases.

Speaking to my own deployments, there are many new features we are not interested in, and wouldn't be, until we can get organizational (cultural) change in place, or see stability and scalability.

We can't rely on, or expect, that orgs will move to the CI/CD model for infra, when they aren't even ready to do that for their own apps. It's still a new "paradigm" for many of us. CI/CD requires a considerable engineering effort, and given that the decision to "switch" to OpenStack is often driven by cost-savings over enterprise virtualization, adding those costs back in via engineering salaries doesn't make fiscal sense.

My big argument is that if Icehouse/Juno works and is stable, and I don't need newer features from subsequent releases, why would I expend the effort until such a time that I do want those features? Thankfully there are vendors that understand this. Keeping up with the release cycle just for the sake of keeping up with the release cycle is exhausting.