[Openstack-operators] OpenSource ELK configurations

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 19:58:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Joseph Bajin <josephbajin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think those from the Infra Project are a great start, but I do think
> they are missing a lot.

I am sure they are, and we would love contributions to make them better.
The filters from the infra project are used every day by developers use to
hunt down issues. And the more similar the developer and operator
experience is here the easier it will be for the two groups to talk about
the same problems.

> Instead of breaking down the message into parts, it just breaks down the
> type (INFO, DEBUG, etc) and then makes the rest of the message greedy.
> That doesn't help searching or graphing or anything like that (or at least
> makes it more difficult over time). At least that is what I have seen.

One of the reasons for this is because most of the log messages are very
unstructured. But I have a hunch we can do better then what we have today.

> We are using a little bit tweaked version of the godaddy's scripts.  That
> seems to give us a good amount of detail that we can search and filter on.
> I'll see if I can post my versions of them to the repo.

Are you talking about https://github.com/osops/tools-logging
<https://github.com/osops/tools-logging/pull/3> or the infra repo? It would
be great to have both developer and operator communities  collaborate on
this and improve everyones ELK configuration.