[Openstack-operators] Raising the degree of the scandal

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 08:40:24 UTC 2015

This whole discussion is basically pointless because the ebtables work
isn't even done. There is no merged ebtables fix to back-port.

>Additionally, some of us don’t want to run OVS

Well OVS is the reference right now. If you choose to use something
else, there are going to be feature gaps like this. Did you consider
this before trying to remove OVS?

>so an OVS only solution is effectively imho - crap

You mean for people that choose not to use the gate-tested reference driver?

Anyone can just as easily argue that an ebtables solution is crap
because it assumes a filtering bridge so it doesn't work with any
direct plugging setups. However, we try to discourage attacking
contributions that didn't happen to fit a narrow use-case. It's
unproductive and poisonous behavior that discourages people from doing
anything.

>you need to run OVS - seems like a stretch if you aren't using GRE/vxlan tunneling for all of your guests.

Tunneling has little to do with OVS. Linux bridge also supports vxlan
and GRE. You can just say why you don't like OVS (e.g. hard to debug,
tooling is different, admins don't know how to use it, etc). This can
help motivate the movement to restart development on the linux bridge
driver.

>Since, flat networks are a 100% supported

Who is supporting Linux bridge used as a backend for shared networks
and is claiming they are secure? Whoever is doing that should be on
the receiving end of your complaints.

Please be clear about what you really want here. It sounds like you
want ARP filtering support in the Linux bridge driver. Is that
correct?

Kevin Benton