[Openstack-operators] [nova] Can we bump MIN_LIBVIRT_VERSION to 1.2.2 in Liberty?

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Sun May 17 20:28:56 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jesse Keating" <jlk at bluebox.net>
> To: "Tim Bell" <Tim.Bell at cern.ch>
>
> I'd imagine the use of a Software Collection that includes a newer python
> for the OpenStack packages, or RHOSP, being purpose built for OpenStack,
> will take the plunge and upgrade the system python version.
>

> - jlk

Doing it using SCLs certainly would not be impossible, but it's not something anyone is actively working on as far as I know. From a RHEL-OSP point of view RHEL-OSP 5 based on Icehouse was the transition release where both RHEL 6 and RHEL 7 hosts were supported, subsequent releases (e.g. RHEL-OSP 6 based on Juno) only support RHEL 7 hosts. RHEL-OSP 5 has a 3 year lifecycle from date of release though so we expect at least some users will remain on this combination for quite some time yet.

As Tim mentioned there was a collaborative effort in the RDO community project to endeavor to extend support for EL6 into the Juno-based release, I'd expect further discussion of where next in the RDO community meetup on Thursday at 9:50 AM. You can find the event in sched.org here:

    https://openstacksummitmay2015vancouver.sched.org/event/80458505784b9ef140439dea0e8d22cf

Thanks,

Steve

> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:
>
> > I¹m not seeing an easy solution other than to migrate to v7 in the longer
> > termŠ we¹ve worked with RDO to get the packages back ported for Juno for
> > v6 but with python pre-reqs this is going to get more and more difficult.
> > It is one of those regular scenarios we encounter where neither staying
> > still or moving forward are particularly attractive.
> >
> > It makes me wonder how RHOSP will be supporting these environments (or is
> > the commitment to keep an OpenStack release working for a period of time
> > rather than guaranteeing that you do not need to upgrade the OS ?)Š
> >
> > Tim

> > >Tim, if you can't get Python 2.7 from SCL working acceptably,
> > >what would be your fallback approach ?  Would you try to patch
> > >Nova to work on Python 2.6 again, or would you simply delay
> > >updating Nova until you have v7 hosts to run on ?
> > >
> > >Likewise if we were to decide to drop support for libvrt in
> > >v6 from Nova, how would you imagine dealing with that ? Would
> > >you just re-add the compat code we removed from Nova to make
> > >it work with old libvirt again ?
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >Daniel
> > >--
> > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
> > >http://virt-manager.org :|
> > >http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
> > >http://live.gnome.org/gtk-vnc :|

Steve Gordon, RHCE
Sr. Technical Product Manager,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform