[Openstack-operators] [nova] Backlog Specs: a way to send requirements to the developer community

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Fri May 15 12:35:09 UTC 2015

Sean,

Adding most features to most projects requires a reasonable conversation
> about how that impacts other parts of that project, and other projects
> in OpenStack, and how it impacts existing deploys of OpenStack, and
> compatibility between OpenStack implementations in the field, especially
> as we try to get more serious about interoperability.

Agree on this but this work should be done by team NOT end users.
End users should say: "I like it or not and why" or something is missing
they don't care how this is going to be implemented.

I get that everyone wants an easy button, and for magical elves to do
> stuff. However I think Rally is the anomaly here, as it doesn't need to
> address many of these concerns for where it lives in the tools stack.

Believe me Rally is the same project as others. We have the same problems
like other OpenStack projects.

Some of feature request that sound quite easy (Support of benchmarking with
existing
users) required a lot of work and discussion inside the Rally team, and no
one from users
or even developers were able to write proper spec 1 year ago..

> And easy process for submit, that ends up with too little information or
> engagement to be useful, is worse than none at all. Because then there
> is just a black hole in the middle where everything is going to get lost.

Users should have simple as possible way to provide simple feed back.
That should be analyzed by core team and PTL and transferred to real specs.
For example:

- "I need to have automated no downtime upgrades from one version to
another.
   Because otherwise I can't use OpenStack in production"

- "Tenant deletion should remove, because it's not clear how to delete all
resources by hands".

- "I would like to have restorable resources. Users that deleted by
accident resources like VM, should be
able to restore them during some fixed amount of time like 5 minutes."

It's impossible hard task to create proper spec but it's super simple to
provide such feature request.

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic