[Openstack-operators] Neutron/DVR scalability of one giant single tenant VS multiple tenants

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 21:56:33 UTC 2015

Neutron scalability isn't impacted directly by the number of tenants
so that shouldn't matter too much. The following are a few things to
consider.

Number of ports per security group: Every time a member of a security
group (a port) is removed/added or has it's IP changed, a notification
goes out to the L2 agents so they can update their firewall rules. If
you have thousands of ports and lots of churn, the L2 agents will be
busy all of the time processing the changes and may fall behind
impacting the time it takes for ports to gain connectivity.

Number of ports per network: Each network is a broadcast domain so a
single network with hundreds of ports will get pretty chatty with
broadcast and multicast traffic. Also, if you use l2pop, each l2 agent
has to know the location of every port that shares a network with the
ports on the agent. I don't think this has as much impact as the
security groups updating, but it's something to keep in mind.

Number of ports behind a single tenant router: Any traffic that goes
to an external network that doesn't have a floating IP associated with
it needs to go via the assigned centralized SNAT node for that router.
If a lot of your VMs don't have floating IPs and generate lots of
traffic, this single translation point will quickly become a
bottleneck.

Number of centralized SNAT agents: Even if you have lots of tenant
routers to address the issue above, you need to make sure you have
plenty of L3 agents with access to the external network and
'agent_mode' set to 'dvr_snat' so they can be used as centralized SNAT
nodes. Otherwise, if you only have one centralized SNAT node,
splitting the traffic across a bunch of tenant routers doesn't buy you
much.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Cheers,
Kevin Benton

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Gustavo Randich
<gustavo.randich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are evaluating the migration of our private cloud of several thousand VMs
> from multi-host nova-network to neutron/DVR. For historical reasons, we
> currently use a single tenant because group administration is made outside
> openstack (users don't talk to OS API). The number of compute nodes we have
> now is approx. 400, and growing.
>
> My question is:
>
> Srictly regarding the scalability and performance fo the DVR/Neutron virtual
> networking components inside compute nodes (OVS virtual switches, iptables,
> VXLAN tunnel mesh, etc.), should we mantain this single-tenant /
> single-network architecture in Neutron/DVR? Or should we partition our next
> cloud into several tenants each corresponding to different groups/verticals
> inside the company, and possibly each with their several private networks?
>
> Thanks!

Kevin Benton