[Openstack-operators] expanding to 2nd location

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue May 5 05:29:01 UTC 2015

CERN runs two data centres in Geneva (3.5MW) and Budapest (2.7MW), around
1,200 KMs . We have two 100Gb/s links between the two sites and latency of
around 22ms.

We run this as a single cloud with 13 cells. Each cell is only in one data
centre.

We wanted a single API endpoint from the user perspective and thus, we did
not use regions.

There are things to consider such as

- Availability zone set up so that people can choose which centre to place
work in (such as disaster recovery)
- Scheduling of work for projects and localisation of the volumes for
those Vms (we¹ve not found a good solution for this one)

In an ideal world, we¹d have a high availability API layer for the cells
across two sites. We¹ve not got that far yet.

Tim