[Openstack-operators] Operating Swift

Eren Türkay erent at skyatlas.com
Tue Mar 31 06:25:01 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I've installed swift with 3 storage nodes and 1 proxy node for testing.
So far everything seems smooth but I have questions regarding to
operating swift.

The most important thing is how to add a new storage node or proxy node.
While installing, I copied the files created by ring builder to all of
the storage nodes. Should I add a the node to the ring and copy the
files to all the storage nodes? If so, should I restart all the swift
services so that they read the ring. Is there a reload functionality in
swift processes? Is there a guide for operating swift cluster? I would
be really happy if there is document explaining what to do when storage
node dies, how the data is replicated in swift, and how to add new
storage/proxy nodes to the cluser.

The second one is the hardware requirements for proxy and load balancer
services. Is there a rule of thumb, or best practice for choosing server
hardware for storage and proxy node. I've read that proxy node is
network and CPU intensive but as I don't have traffic, I don't know
which specification I should choose (for example 8 CPU, 32GB ram, etc).

Your experience is appreciated.

Regards,

--
Eren Türkay, System Administrator
https://skyatlas.com/ | +90 850 885 0357

Yildiz Teknik Universitesi Davutpasa Kampusu
Teknopark Bolgesi, D2 Blok No:107
Esenler, Istanbul Pk.34220