[Openstack-operators] What to do when a compute node dies?

Mike Dorman mdorman at godaddy.com
Mon Mar 30 03:26:07 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I’m curious about how people deal with failures of compute nodes, as in total failure when the box is gone for good.  (Mainly care about KVM HV, but also interested in more general cases as well.)

The particular situation we’re looking at: how end users could identify or be notified of VMs that no longer exist, because their hypervisor is dead.  As I understand it, Nova will still believe VMs are running, and really has no way to know anything has changed (other than the nova-compute instance has dropped off.)

I understand failure detection is a tricky thing.  But it seems like there must be something a little better than this.

Thanks,
Mike